According to the /page/NYM">Mets/2008/04/08/2008-04-08_team_brass_s
ees_astley_as_ghastly.html">N.Y. Daily News, the Mets got Rick Roll'd.
The team asked for fans to vote on a new eighth inning sing-along song to be played at Shea Stadium, likely carrying them into new CitiField next season. Some of the songs among the options: "Livin' on a Prayer," "I'm a Believer," "Movin' Out," "Sweet Caroline" and "Build Me Up Buttercup." Fans from the website Fark.com inundated the Mets with write-in candidate, "Never Gonna Give You Up." And of course, it won. So the team is scrambling now to come up with a reason why that won't be the song, despite it being the fans' choice.
Anyway, we started thinking of some songs on our own that might be good for the Mets in the eighth:
- "Loser" -- Beck
- "Top Jimmy" -- Van Halen (for Jimmy Rollins' prediction last season)
- "Cocaine" -- Eric Clapton (in honor of the Mets from the 80s)
- "Achy Breaky Heart" -- Billy Ray Cyrus
- "Chokin' in the Boys Room" -- Motley Crue (this is Ross' contribution and twist on a classic)
- "Another One Bites the Dust" -- Queen
Here's our podcast from this afternoon -- Scott Eugene White Junior makes his podcastorial debut.